C# 'using' with '=' results in "was not declared or defined"

C# 'using' with '=' results in "was not declared or defined"

Brier, Frederick(GE Oil & Gas)
Some C# code has syntax of the variety:

using AbbrSym = com.mycompany.templateclass<item>;

causes Doxygen to issue a warning: documented symbol `typedef com mycompany template class<item> AbbrSym' was not declared or defined.

Is this a language feature that has not been implemented?  Or is there a workaround?  I suspect that these "undefined" symbols are responsible for my class inheritance and diagrams from not showing up.  Thank you.