Quantcast

Doxygen creates unnecessary (unwanted) paragraphs.

Doxygen creates unnecessary (unwanted) paragraphs.

Julian
Hello everyone!

I recently started with doxygen and immediately ran into a problem.
I wanted to document a method with a small paragraph of text, but for
some reason, Doxygen keeps splitting the paragraph into two.

This is the documentation in code:

     /**
      * Returns the next character in the file without actually
consuming it.
      * Once the end of the file is reached, this method returns the char
      * equivalent of -1.
      */
     char look();

I expect Doxygen to create a documentation in a single paragraph, which
would look like this:

Returns the next character in the file without actually consuming it.
Once the end of the file is reached, this method returns the char
equivalent of -1.

However, I get this instead:

Returns the next character in the file without actually consuming it.

Once the end of the file is reached, this method returns the char
equivalent of -1.

This also persists if I put the in-code documentation in one single line.
Could you maybe point me in the right direction what I am doing wrong or
what option I may have set wrongly in the configuration file?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Doxygen creates unnecessary (unwanted) paragraphs.

Christoph Lipka
Hi Julian,

you probably have set JAVADOC_AUTOBRIEF=YES; to quote from the manual:

"If the JAVADOC_AUTOBRIEF tag is set to YES then doxygen will interpret
the first line (until the first dot) of a Javadoc-style comment as the
brief description. If set to NO, the Javadoc-style will behave just like
regular Qt-style comments (thus requiring an explicit @brief command for
a brief description.)"

The brief description is always placed in a separate paragraph.

Am 02.06.2016 um 09:43 schrieb Julian:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I recently started with doxygen and immediately ran into a problem.
> I wanted to document a method with a small paragraph of text, but for
> some reason, Doxygen keeps splitting the paragraph into two.
>
> This is the documentation in code:
>
>      /**
>       * Returns the next character in the file without actually
> consuming it.
>       * Once the end of the file is reached, this method returns the char
>       * equivalent of -1.
>       */
>      char look();
>
> I expect Doxygen to create a documentation in a single paragraph, which
> would look like this:
>
> Returns the next character in the file without actually consuming it.
> Once the end of the file is reached, this method returns the char
> equivalent of -1.
>
> However, I get this instead:
>
> Returns the next character in the file without actually consuming it.
>
> Once the end of the file is reached, this method returns the char
> equivalent of -1.
>
> This also persists if I put the in-code documentation in one single line.
> Could you maybe point me in the right direction what I am doing wrong or
> what option I may have set wrongly in the configuration file?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Doxygen creates unnecessary (unwanted) paragraphs.

Julian
Oh, I didn't know it places the brief description always in a separate
paragraph... This explains a lot. Thanks for pointing this out!
Javadoc doesn't do this, or am I wrong there either?