I thought I would share this with other doxygen users. I recently moved my site to using "external searching" ( see
http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/manual/extsearch.html ) . I noticed that the xapian library used by doxygen can provide more
advance searching than is enabled by default in doxygen, so I modified addon/doxysearch/doxysearch.cpp to take advantage of it. In
the main routine, I replaced the lines :
which gives me "stemmed" searches, wildcarding, and all terms are ANDed by default . The maximum wildcard expansion doesn't appear
to work however, but this does not appear to be a problem for me. I have xapian 1.2.22 on my system which is about 18 months old.
Then, to help my users, I modified src/translator_en.h so that search results include a link to a document describing the available
> virtual QCString trSearchResults(int numDocuments)
> QCString Prompt("<BR> <A HREF=http://mywebserver/QueryParserSyntax.html> See here for details of available search syntax.
> if (numDocuments==0)
> return "Sorry, no documents matching your query."+Prompt; }
> else if (numDocuments==1)
> return "Found <b>1</b> document matching your query."+Prompt;
> return "Found <b>$num</b> documents matching your query. Showing best matches first."+Prompt ;
I didn't attempt to translate this into all the other 43 available languages however!