Formulas in code blocks

Christoph Lehmann
Dear all,

I just found out by chance that formulas can be included in code
snippets if MathJax is enabled. In the following examples \sum will be
rendered as the respective LaTeX symbol in the HTML output.

\code
while true; do
    \( \sum \)
done
\endcode

~~~~~
while true; do
    \( \sum \)
done
~~~~~

However, I could not find that behaviour documented anywhere and
actually I found out about it when trying to include the following
snippet into the documentation:

\code
find . \( -name '*.h' -and -not -name '*-impl.h' \) -printf '%f\n'
\endcode

Everything between the brackets was interpreted as some LaTeX formula
and thus messed up pretty much. That also applies if I specify
{.unparsed} as "language".

Is the observed behaviour intended or is it merely a bug? Is there some
documentation somewhere? As a feature it would be very nice, but is
there also a possibility to disable the special meaning of \( and \) in
code snippets?

Best regards,
Christoph

Re: Formulas in code blocks

Dimitri van Heesch-2
Hi Christoph,

This seems to be a standard feature of MathJax, see also
https://docs.mathjax.org/en/v2.6-latest/start.html#tex-and-latex-input

It has nothing to do with doxygen, but one could argue that doxygen
should prevent MathJax from doing this, unless it is a real formula.
Feel free to file a bug report for this.

Regards,
  Dimitri