HTML help: Populating the index

Christoph Lipka
I'm trying to use Doxygen to compile a set of Markdown files into a user
manual in various output formats, including HTML Help. Of couse I want
to make use of HTML Help's index feature.

I have found that I can populate the index using the "@addindex" tag in
places I want indexed. So far so good.

However, I want to use HTML-Help's feature of grouping index entries,
like so:

    command-line
      starting from
      options

The naive attempt to do this via

    @addindex command-line, starting from
    @addindex command-line, options

doesn't work. Any ideas (short of postprocessing the .hhk file)?

Re: HTML help: Populating the index

Christoph Lipka
To anyone interested,

I've just solved this riddle myself by having a very close look at the
source code: Support for two-level nested indices is indeed implemented,
but contrary to intuition (and even contrary to the in-source
documentation) needs the following format:

    @addindex command-line?starting from
    @addindex command-line?options

While I consider this a bogosity (because it makes life more difficult
when targeting multiple output formats), I guess I can live with that.

Regards
Christoph