Quantcast

Howto get HTML links to functions so external documents links o function documentation?

Howto get HTML links to functions so external documents links o function documentation?

Pierre Rouleau-3
Hi all,

I would like to create external HTML documentation that would have
link to Doxygen generated documentation.  I'd like to be able to link
to documentation of global C/C++ functions or even C++ class member
functions. The HTML link generatd by doxygen do not seem to be
persistent and seem o change from run of Doxygen to another.  Is there
a way to instruct Doxygen to generate some type of persistent links to
the functions?

Thanks in advance,

Pierre Rouleau

Re: Howto get HTML links to functions so external documents links o function documentation?

Dimitri van Heesch-2

Hi Pierre,

On 17 okt 2008, at 03:44, Pierre Rouleau wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to create external HTML documentation that would have
> link to Doxygen generated documentation.  I'd like to be able to link
> to documentation of global C/C++ functions or even C++ class member
> functions. The HTML link generatd by doxygen do not seem to be
> persistent and seem o change from run of Doxygen to another.  Is there
> a way to instruct Doxygen to generate some type of persistent links to
> the functions?

Doxygen does generate persistent links already (unless SHORT_NAMES is
set to YES).
So I'm interested in which links you see change from one run to another.

Regards,
   Dimitri

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Dimitri Van Heesch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Doxygen does generate persistent links already (unless SHORT_NAMES is set to
> YES).
> So I'm interested in which links you see change from one run to another.

Hi Dimitri, thanks for your answer.

I tried SHORT_NAMES set to yes.  However, the link to a member
function or a global function is still set to something like
file:///D:/dvp/libs/communication/vcom/_dox/en/html/a00003.html#691f2832d51c16367ab2fbf6e444ae8d
. That is the URL I get for a member function link ( AddData() :
CAPIDataList) in the Doxygen page showing the "list of all class
members with links to the class they belong to".

Can I assume that a URL that looks this way would always stay the same
for a given member function even when the source code evolves?  I used
the latest version of Doxygen for that example.

--

Pierre

On 18 okt 2008, at 17:41, Pierre Rouleau wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Dimitri Van Heesch <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
>> Doxygen does generate persistent links already (unless SHORT_NAMES
>> is set to
>> YES).
>> So I'm interested in which links you see change from one run to
>> another.
>>

> Hi Dimitri, thanks for your answer.
>
> I tried SHORT_NAMES set to yes.  However, the link to a member
> function or a global function is still set to something like
> file:///D:/dvp/libs/communication/vcom/_dox/en/html/
> a00003.html#691f2832d51c16367ab2fbf6e444ae8d
> . That is the URL I get for a member function link ( AddData() :
> CAPIDataList) in the Doxygen page showing the "list of all class
> members with links to the class they belong to".
>
> Can I assume that a URL that looks this way would always stay the same
> for a given member function even when the source code evolves?  I used
> the latest version of Doxygen for that example.

Hi Pierre,

You should set SHORT_NAMES to NO, as I was trying to suggest.
Doxygen makes local links, so I guess your browser "invented" the file:///D:/.../html/
  stuff, it
is not there in the actual HTML files.
The link anchor is based on the function prototype, as long as that
stays the same, the
anchor will stay the same as well.

Regards,
   Dimitri

Re: Howto get HTML links to functions so external documents links o function documentation?

Pierre Rouleau-3
> Hi Pierre,
>
> You should set SHORT_NAMES to NO,

OK.  In fact SHORT_NAMES to NO or to YES does not seem to have any
impact on what I am looking for.

> Doxygen makes local links, so I guess your browser "invented" the
> file:///D:/.../html/ stuff, it
> is not there in the actual HTML files.

I understand that Doxygen generates file names that are based on the
actual file and have no problems with it.

Let me explain the problem I have better:

Lets say I have a set of C global functions named nms_init(),
nms_start(), nms_stop(), nms_configure(), etc... implemented inside
the nms.c file and where the function prototypes are declared inside
the nms.h header file.

I would like to use Doxygen to generate the HTML documentation.  Then,
I would also write other, independent HTML documentation which would
refer to Doxygen-generated documentation.  In that documentation, I
would like to have a link to the documentation of nms_start().  I know
how to get a link to the Doxygen HTML rendering for nms.c and nms.h,
but the impression I had was the HTML link for nms_start() seems to be
random.

> The link anchor is based on the function prototype, as long as that stays
> the same, the
> anchor will stay the same as well.

So, what should look the link anchor for a given function?

I have a class called CSocketLayer1.  The Doxygen class reference page
that describes it is:
file:///D:/dvp/libs/communication/vcom/_dox/en/html/classCSocketLayer1.html

Inside the class reference page, the link to the
CSocketLayer1::OpenConnection() member function is:
file:///D:/dvp/libs/communication/vcom/_dox/en/html/classCSocketLayer1.html#080597c5ec10efeba4d0deef4a1f3654

Is classCSocketLayer1.html#080597c5ec10efeba4d0deef4a1f3654 the only
Doxygen-generated link to the documentation of
CSocketLayer1::OpenConnection() (with a given prototype signature) or
is there another one?  My current understanding is that Doxygen does
only generate that link, based on the function prototype and I can use
it to refer to the function as long as the function prototype stays
the same.  Am i correct?

Thanks for you patience,

Pierre

Re: Howto get HTML links to functions so external documents links o function documentation?

Duncan Gibson-3
> Let me explain the problem I have better:
>
> Lets say I have a set of C global functions named nms_init(),
> nms_start(), nms_stop(), nms_configure(), etc... implemented inside
> the nms.c file and where the function prototypes are declared inside
> the nms.h header file.
>
> I would like to use Doxygen to generate the HTML documentation.  Then,
> I would also write other, independent HTML documentation which would
> refer to Doxygen-generated documentation.  In that documentation, I
> would like to have a link to the documentation of nms_start().  I know
> how to get a link to the Doxygen HTML rendering for nms.c and nms.h,
> but the impression I had was the HTML link for nms_start() seems to be
> random.

I've been working on additional documentation that refers to the
doxygen generated stuff for classes and functions.

All you need to do is ensure that nms.[ch] have \file commands,
and that your nms_init(), nms_start() etc all have doxygen comments,
possibly using \fn, and then don't write raw HTML for the additional
documentation, but use doxygen itself. In that file, extra.dox (?)
just use the function names as normal, and doxygen will generate
links for them, so you don't need to worry what they are called.
See http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/autolink.html for details.

/**
\page The NMS Subsystem

The NMS subsystem does...
It must be initialized before use using nms_init() as this handles
initial connection and login. Once the connection is established,
use nms_start() to set the wheels in motion...
*/

Re: Howto get HTML links to functions so external documents links o function documentation?

Pierre Rouleau-3
Thanks Duncan.

> I've been working on additional documentation that refers to the
> doxygen generated stuff for classes and functions.
>
> All you need to do is ensure that nms.[ch] have \file commands,
> and that your nms_init(), nms_start() etc all have doxygen comments,
> possibly using \fn, and then don't write raw HTML for the additional
> documentation, but use doxygen itself.

In fact, that's the whole point.  The external HTML already exists,
and all I am rying o do is to have link from that external HTML into
the Doxygen generated code.   It's not that I do not want to write
documentation that will be parsed by Doxygen, it's that I wanted to
avoid having to do it because the external HTML was already written
(by someone else) and I'm trying to integrate the whole thing.  If it
is not possible to get simple links for functions I might have to
consider doing it differently, but I am not there yet.  For instance,
we have an audio processing library for our in-house designed h/w wich
also supports Windows and Linux.  Someone wrote a top-level design
block diagram in Visio which contains links to the desin documents of
each sub-systems.  These design document are written in
reStructuredText and rendered into HTML.  These documents also refer
to code implementation.  The code is instrumented with Doxygen and has
top-level Doxygen main page, etc..  The design document talks about
code modules, files, classes and functions.  I know how to create
links for the modules, files, classes, but when it comes to C++ member
functions or C functions, all I have at the moment is these long
looking URLs.  I was wondering if hese URLs would always be the same
or whether there was a way to get URLs that would look closer to the
function signature.

--

Pierre

Re: Howto get HTML links to functions so external documents links o function documentation?

Sebastian Rose-2
Why not simply run Doxygen several times and add some dummy stuff
for testing?

I understand, you want to no, if there are guaranties. Well, testing
could show that quite well. And since Doxygen is really fast...

Well, and Dimitry wrote here, that the links do not change.

I recommend Firefox and the firebug plugin ('inspect element') for
easy link detection.

Regards,

    Sebastian