Quantcast

Install and use in a company computer

Quietlake
Hi,

I would like to use Doxygen for documentation in a C# project in my company.

The purpose is to generate documentations which only used by our development team.

I would like to know is it "free" to install and use Doxygen in a company computer?

If the answer is Yes, could anyone provide a certification mention it is free to install and use in a company computer.

Greetings,
Gabriel

Re: Install and use in a company computer

Quietlake
Thanks, jo3w4rd.

Before I ask the question, I know the Doxygen using the GPL license .
I try my best to understand GPL, but still confused.
Based on following data found on GPL website, I could install and use Doxygen in a company computer without any fee. Is that correct?

Is making and using multiple copies within one organization or company “distribution”? (#InternalDistribution)
No, in that case the organization is just making the copies for itself. As a consequence, a company or other organization can develop a modified version and install that version through its own facilities, without giving the staff permission to release that modified version to outsiders.

However, when the organization transfers copies to other organizations or individuals, that is distribution. In particular, providing copies to contractors for use off-site is distribution.

Gabriel

Re: Install and use in a company computer

Rob Boehne
Gabriel,

If you understand the history behind the GPL it¹s a bit easier to
understand it¹s stipulations.  The point is really to prevent a company
from taking the source code, modifying it and selling it without granting
access to the modified source code.  This is how Microsoft added
networking into Windows, by copying code from BSD and selling it (without
source), which would not be legal under the GPL.

If your company doesn¹t use a modified version of Doxygen, you have no
obligations to worry about.  If any bugs you fix are fixed through the
main project, you are also good from the legal perspective, and aligned
with the spirit of FOSS.

HTH,

Robert Boehne

On 2/15/17, 10:06 PM, "Quietlake" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thanks, jo3w4rd.
>
>Before I ask the question, I know the Doxygen using the GPL license .
>I try my best to understand GPL, but still confused.
>Based on following data found on GPL website, I could install and use
>Doxygen in a company computer without any fee. Is that correct?
>
>Is making and using multiple copies within one organization or company
>³distribution²? (#InternalDistribution)
>No, in that case the organization is just making the copies for itself.
>As a
>consequence, a company or other organization can develop a modified
>version
>and install that version through its own facilities, without giving the
>staff permission to release that modified version to outsiders.
>
>However, when the organization transfers copies to other organizations or
>individuals, that is distribution. In particular, providing copies to
>contractors for use off-site is distribution.
>
>Gabriel

Re: Install and use in a company computer

Quietlake
Thanks, Rob Boehne.

The history helps me a lot.

I also try to study more resources. I think I understand GPL and FOSS much more.

source:
1. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
2. https://copyleft.org/guide/comprehensive-gpl-guidech13.html