Problems by new exit code 2 if warnings found

Problems by new exit code 2 if warnings found

Schleusener, Jens
Hi,

after I installed at last Thursday evening doxygen's latest Github version
on a server that offers FOSS software I got errors while the
semi-automatic generation of the according Doxygen documentation for new
added software packages.

It takes me some time to find out that doxygen after the recent addition
of the WARN_AS_ERROR option now set a return code of 2 instead of before 0
if some warnings occur and WARN_AS_ERROR is set to NO (the default).

Since for some software packages doxygen ends errorneously with the error
message

  input buffer overflow, can't enlarge buffer because scanner uses REJECT

that is caused (as described in the FAQ) probably by doxygen's lexical
scanner I checked in my self-written according wrapper script for the
heuristically found exit code 2 and try than to exclude all member files
of the processed package files with the problematic too long input lines
(> 256K characters, checked in the script by "wc -L") and try to run then
doxygen again. That exit code "2" I found also described at

  http://marc.info/?l=doxygen-users&m=126909030104387&w=2

as set especially for "flex internal errors", all other errors got "1".

But nearly for all packages on the mentioned server doxygen issues some
warnings so that the described check now fails since doxygen nearly always
ends with an exit code of 2.

If I change just for testing in src/message.cpp

  Doxygen::exitCode = 2;

  Doxygen::exitCode = 0;

in order to force the old behaviour all works well again.

Maybe it is meaningful to choose for doxygen warnings an alternate exit
code different to "2"?

Regards

Jens

Re: Problems by new exit code 2 if warnings found

Dimitri van Heesch-2
Hi Jens,

> On 19 Dec 2015, at 22:15 , Schleusener, Jens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> after I installed at last Thursday evening doxygen's latest Github version
> on a server that offers FOSS software I got errors while the
> semi-automatic generation of the according Doxygen documentation for new
> added software packages.
>
> It takes me some time to find out that doxygen after the recent addition
> of the WARN_AS_ERROR option now set a return code of 2 instead of before 0
> if some warnings occur and WARN_AS_ERROR is set to NO (the default).

I've just reverted the change that caused doxygen to return error code 2 on a warning.

Regards,
  Dimitri