Quantcast

Working on adding PlantUML class diagrams

Working on adding PlantUML class diagrams

johnk
I'm interested in (and have started) modifying the Doxygen code to allow
for the generation of class diagrams using PlantUML, but I wanted to get
some input before I got too far in.

My current thinking is just to have the diagrams generated as an aside
to the Graphviz diagrams.  I mostly wanted a tool to automatically
generate nice UML class diagrams from my code.  I'm already using
Doxygen and it has a framework for doing this already. PlantUML does not
support image mapping so the nice links that are generated in Graphviz
simply aren't available.

That said, others probably have a different opinion on how best to
utilize PlantUML.  As such, I'm open to suggestions as to how best to
utilize the tool inside Doxygen (beyond the already available embedded
diagrams).

I should probably mention that I'm only inclined to add support for
PlantUML class diagrams - it's not really suited for the other types of
diagrams that Doxygen generates.

Re: Working on adding PlantUML class diagrams

Roger Lucas (rogerluc)
We use Doxygen extensively and have recently added PlantUML to allow embedded
class diagram images.

The instructions provided by PlantUML work well - we get the correct images
created and they get referenced in the Doxygen HTML output so that you get the
images inline with the documentation.

What more were you trying to do?

- Roger

On 04/07/2015 02:30 AM, Roger Lucas (rogerluc) wrote:
> We use Doxygen extensively and have recently added PlantUML to allow embedded
> class diagram images.
>
> The instructions provided by PlantUML work well - we get the correct images
> created and they get referenced in the Doxygen HTML output so that you get the
> images inline with the documentation.
>
> What more were you trying to do?

Embedded PlantUML diagrams work great, yes, but what I wanted was to
have PlantUML class diagrams generated automatically from the code base
we're documenting.  Doxygen already does this using Graphviz, but I'm
not overly fond of how it looks.  I'd like to provide the option of
generating the same (more or less) graphs using PlantUML even if it
doesn't support image mapping.

In short, I want dynamic UML class diagrams using PlantUML in addition
to the already supported static diagrams.